Micro-Wind - Further advice


Planning permission

Within the UK planning permission is likely to be required. From 2008 it is probable that buildings integrated turbines will not need planning permission in the UK unless the building is sited in a specially designated area. However planning rules vary across Europe and even within individual Member States with the detailed regulations and planning decisions often being handled by local government. In the UK, planning permission will definitely be needed for any construction over 4 m in height. You should always contact you local planning authority before you consider siting a turbine to find out the exact procedure for gaining approval in your district.

Further advice (UK version)

  • Consult your local Sustainable Energy Network Centre for:
    • List of suitable installers locally
    • Advice on approved products
  • Discuss with neighbours or people in your county who have installed micro-wind

Links to web sites (UK)

DTI’s low carbon buildings programme website gives details of available grants, a list of accredited wind installers for your area, and a brief description of micro-wind turbines.

The Energy Savings Trust website gives information on micro-wind turbines and grants. As a domestic client you should use the ‘my home’ link for details of, micro-wind turbine as well as links to your relevant local energy advice centre.

The CEP website has links to several useful information sources concerning both wind turbines and grants.

The BWEA website gives a wealth of information concerning all scales of wind turbines, search for ‘NOABL’ if you want to access the wind speed estimation software.

The DTI’s website has information about wind energy, which can be assessed through its ‘energy’ pages and by following the links to ‘energy sources’ and then ‘renewables’, ‘renewables explained’ to ‘wind energy’.

The National Energy Foundation website has information on wind energy, this can be accessed by following the ’householders’, ‘renewable energy’ and link on the National Energy Foundation website to find advice on energy saving, green energy and carbon emissions.

Two companies who both supply and buy back electricity from renewable sources.
Ecotricity www.ecotricity.co.uk
Good Energy www.good-energy.co.uk

OFGEM (Office of Gas and Electricity Markets)
Regulates renewable Obligation Certificates (ROCs).

Pay-per-download info:
Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT):
Information on choosing a micro-wind turbine can be purchased from the pay per view download area of CAT’s website. A useful document is the ‘Choosing Windpower’ PDF whereas if you’re interesting in wind education you can download ‘CAT's Teacher's Guide to Wind Power Projects’.